Friday, March 12, 2010

New Skills

Recently, I was unloading the dishwasher while Natalie was eating.  She was eating cheerios and s'mores goldfish crackers (chocolate, graham, and marshmallow shaped fish).   A minute or two after putting them on her tray I looked over and saw this:
I was so excited that I ran to get the camera.  Why was I so excited you ask?  Well, because I have never seen Natalie do any type of  sorting activity.  I decided to see what she would do if I put a few more chocolate fish on her tray.  When I did she immediately looked at them, picked them up one by one, and added them to the area with the other chocolate fish.   Not only is this a great developmental step but it shows that she is using her vision well to distinguish colors.  I've since realized that she apparently does this because she does not like to eat the chocolate ones.   She also doesn't like the marshmallow ones but it's more fun to just throw those on the floor!
Natalie also continues to get stronger and more stable when standing and cruising.  She pulls herself up more steadily and confidently.  In fact, if she sees something on a table or counter now, she will try her hardest to get it.  Here she is in the bathroom trying to reach something on the counter.  Just a few months ago I would not have considered leaving her for even a second to get the camera because she was so unsteady she would have likely fallen quickly.  Now she can even get herself down from this position safely. 
I am so proud of my big girl!

2 comments:

  1. Think it might be possible that Nat is actually setting the chocolate fish aside because although she doesn't particularly care for them she realizes that Cook LOVES chocolate and she's keeping them for her? Might account for why the marshmallows end up discarded onto the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Nat! And the new haircut looks great!

    ReplyDelete