Friday, January 15, 2010

Being Real



I have been thinking a lot lately about my blog reading habits and about what I want this blog to be.  Mainly, I've realized that the blogs that I enjoy reading, for the most part, combine several common elements: 
-documentation of everyday accomplishments/special events
-reactions life events and/or challenges
-interesting or funny stories about everyday life

Up until now I don't feel that this blog has really met my own "good blog" requirements so I plan to change that.   No one expects to have a child with a disability but the reality is that it happens all the time and it involves major lifestyle adjustments and a lot of emotion, both good and bad.  Over the last 3 years I have benefitted immeasurably by reading other blogs about kids with challenges similar to Natalie's.  This includes the stories of other micropreemies and kids with Cerebral Palsy (CP) and other disabilities.  It has made me feel less alone and given me a lot of hope for Natalie's future.  I want to be honest about Natalie's disability and how it affects her.  Also, I'd like to educate family, friends and other blog readers a bit more about CP.   But don't worry - I still plan to celebrate her accomplishments and post tons of pictures of my sweet girl! 
So look forward to more posts about Natalie's therapies and therapy goals, equipment, and general development.   I'd love reader comments on topics that you would like me to cover in future posts or just questions that you have about Natalie and her development.  Don't be afraid to ask anything you want to know!

4 comments:

  1. Jeanne -- As someone who's read the different iterations of this blog from the beginning, I can honestly say that I've already learned so much from your perspective. You have no idea how much what you're writing impacts other people, and, as you've said, helps them feel less alone in their own struggles. What you're offering is a real service.

    Keep up the good work and the good writing.

    J

    p.s. That's one of my favorite pictures of Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Jason! Perhaps my wording will not be quite so eloquent, but I am so inspired by your patience, persistence and sense of what being a parent truly means.

    Of course, I appreciate Natalie's good fashion sense, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the Cathy and Jason. I love to read about Natalie and what she is doing... knowing how hard she had to fight when she was born, it is always exciting to see what new things she is accomplishing. Plus the pictures are just cute! You are also a good writer, which I probably should have known from all those notes passed back and forth in school, but I like your style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We want more Natalie! We want more Natalie! She's pretty popular at our house.

    ReplyDelete